Monday, January 11, 2010

Posted by lizisfoodie | File under :

Day 12 -- Nitemare Hippy Girl by Beck

After poking and prodding the white glob that's been sitting in my fridge for a week, I decided to finally make tofu. Well, the jury is still out on how I feel about this soy milk creation. Do you even know what tofu is made out of? I didn't until I just looked it up on Wikipedia, "Tofu...is a soft white food made by coagulating soy milk, and then pressing the resulting curds into blocks." Yum, that sounds appetizing. Well, it's better than some processed food and meats out there.

I cooked a simple stir-fry with firm tofu, which is supposed to be good for this type of dish. Extra firm also tastes great with such Asian dishes. I made a series of mistakes that resulted in a not so great dish and an even not so great mess in my kitchen. And maybe even a small fire...

Mistake 1: Not draining Tofu. Make sure you properly drain the tofu with layered paper towels. Cut the tofu into cubes on a cutting board. Place a layer of paper towels to press down.

Mistake 2: Not really knowing how you are going to cook it. I got cooking anxiety and attempted to make the same batch of tofu with a few methods. First, frying in a wok. But it was getting soggy instead of frying. Then, I switched to a frying pan. And can't remember what else I did. Let's just say it did not come out well.

Mistake 3: Not knowing which type of starch you want to make with the dish. I got overly ambitious and decided to make rice sticks. I went away from the kitchen for a few, while the noodles were frying. I started to smell a scent as if paper towels were on fire. So of course, I ran to the stove to see the below picture... The noodles ended up tasting exactly like burnt marshmallows.

The end result: Some mediocre veggies, soggy tofu, and burnt marshmallow noodles. I ate leftover Chipotle that night. I won't be posting this recipe. Sorry guys!



Making s'mores, but out of marshmallows? Just burn some rice sticks. and no one will know the difference.

0 comments:

Post a Comment